Ottawa is well known to experience heatwaves, and the last week has been no exception. There are many things that you can do to stay cool this summer even if you choose not to use an air conditioner or don’t have one readily available.
- Fans – Sounds simple enough right? Remember though – fans also generate heat. Place a bowl of ice in front of a fan, so it isn’t just circulating the warm air in the room but will blow cool air in your direction, like an air conditioner. Consider having a fan in every room that you want to keep cool.
- If you have a basement, use it – It’s always the coolest place in any house.
- Avoid the South Side of Your House – Where the sun is shining is going to be the hottest, if you can stay on the north side of your house you will be cooler.
- Take Cold Showers, or At Least End Your Shower with Cool Water – When you take a shower, if you don’t want to take the entire shower in cool water, just make sure that when you end your shower that you run some cool water over your body. Even taking a shower at the beginning of the day is a good idea, it will keep you cooler if you are cleaner. Taking one at night can help you sleep better too.
- Water is your best friend – Drink water and avoid drinking alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.
Small little changes in what we do and how we do it can make a difference.